just manually downloaded the update via my phone solely...My pc is old and im not at my gf house to use her lap top.
my g1 is pretty brand new as my replacement from tmo came today so i have no apps or anything on my phone but i had to download some.
to get the update via your phone and not using a PS u need:
Linda file manager
Download Crutch (in market place) (lets u download any file)
the file located at step 1 of the is link http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2009/02/05/how-to-get-rc33-on-your-g1-without-the-wait/
an sd card with at least 20mb remaining.
1. after downloading the 2 market place apps above, go the the link above and download the file on the pages step 1. it may not download a few times and say its unsuccessful but after 3 trys it finally downloaded ( i recommend being on wifi or 3g, its almost a 20mb file)
2. once download go to the linda app and go into the sd card and under download should be the file you just downloaded, long press and rename to update.zip. then long press it again and select CUT. Then hit the back button from the app and paste the file in the main directory of the phone (ie not in a file). you now are ready to update.
3. turn your phone off (also make sure you have decent battery life to sustain the update)
4. Hold Home + End for 20 seconds or until the exclamation point comes onto the screen.
5. From the icon screen, open the keyboard and hit Alt+L. This allows you to see whatís going on during the update.
6. Press Alt+S to begin the update. Remember, the update needs to be in the root of the Micro SD card and needs to be named update.zip.
7. Once it finishes, follow the onscreen instructions and press Home+Back to finish.
7. The G1 will reboot a few times to flash different parts of the firmware.
If all went well, you should now be running the latest update, RC33. To make sure all your hard work wasnít for nothing, hit Menu > Settings > About Phone > scroll to Build Number. You should see RC33 in there somewhere. Congrats
worked perfect and no need for a PC